Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Non-sugar-coated recipe numero uno.

This is yet another creation of which I did not take a picture, due to the fact that...it looks like nearly any other kind of oatmeal out there!  And oatmeal just looks...bleh.  Haha!

If you know me well, you know that I absolutely love the heck out of oatmeal.  Why?  Because a) It keeps you going (and, on a very regular basis, I am going all sorts of different places all day, so stopping for food every few hours is a major inconvenience), b) it's healthy, and c) if you make it the right way, it tastes pretty darn amazing!  Most people prefer sweet oatmeal; however, I discovered that the stuff can be just as amazing when mixed with a few savory ingredients as well. 

My favorite kind of sweet oatmeal has always been apple cinnamon.  The Quaker Instant kind.  X)  But the other day, I do believe I created something just a bit better.  Although this recipe physically yields more oatmeal than a packet of the instant stuff does, it only has 20 more Calories.  Oh, and it has no added sugar.

Apple Pie Porridge

You'll need:

1/3 cup quick oats
Scant 1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla


Mix oats and salt together and add water.  Microwave for approx 1 min, 15 sec.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Try topping with raisins or cranberries.  :p


Once you try this stuff, you'll see why I called it Apple Pie Porridge. 

Calories:  150

No comments:

Post a Comment