Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ramblings of the Edible Variety

...I think every post I make here can be classed as that, actually!

I think I'm gonna stop writing as if I'm writing for a ginormous audience of vedgie-loving, peanutbutterphilic vegetarians and just post whatever I want -- which is usually a couple random (ie completely unrelated) recipes, and maybe a few photos as well.  Maybe more than a few -- I seriously have enough foodie photos to start an EdgeofVedge tumblr, but I'm not the biggest fan of that site.  Like, every time I end up going on there for whatever reason, it feels like I'm just assailed with photos and assorted random crap from all sides.  I'd probably have a seizure if I was on there for more than a few minutes.  X_x

So!  Random food piccies of the day!


This colorful little number is a vedgie/bean soup I made the other day.  Um...like many of my other recipes, this was born out of what turned out to be a serendipitous mistake!   I had made myself some plain vedgie soup and, in an effort to make some leftovers disappear, I cut up and tossed in my last failburger (remember those?  Ha.).  Well, that burger had itself one final fail as it, within minutes, completely dissolved in my soup.  But hey, it was still pretty good.  =p  When life throws you burgers...make soup?  Um, I'll just shut up now.

I've also been obsessed with this stuff, as of late.
So, what exactly is this?
It looks just like every other so-called recipe of mine, you say (something gloppy, covered in either fruit or vedgies)?
Shaddup.  ;D

This is what I've been bringing to work for the last few nights.  I usually work from about four in the afternoon until midnight, and it really keeps me going as the night wears on.

Would you believe that's oatmeal hiding under all the vedgies?

Indeed -- this, my friends (ie, the one or two people who will read this post...) is savory oatmeal.

I absolutely adore oatmeal.  It provides you with boatloads of energy without an insane amount of sugar or Calories.  It keeps you full for hours without weighing you down.  Oh, and it goes well with...pretty much anything!  See, for the longest time, I had the same mindset as nearly everyone else when it came to oatmeal -- oatmeal is a breakfast food; therefore, it would just be WEIRD if it was doctored up with something that wasn't sweet.  Don't get me wrong, I love the heck out of oatmeal with a touch of brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped dates.  However, as I was getting ready for work the other night, I had a craving for the oats, yet...my sweet tooth had taken the night off?  Weird.

I remembered how, when I was down south, I saw "cheesy grits" as a side on many a restaurant menu.  Hey -- why the heck do we not do that up here with oatmeal??  In fact, I've had cheesy grits before, and they were amazing.  So I thought I'd give this a try!  I kind of Italian-ized it, but the possibilities are endless here!  If you're vegan, why not try soy yogurt and nutritional yeast?  Or maybe cheddar cheese, sour cream, and a touch of salsa? 

Savory Oatmeal

You'll need:

1/3 cup quick oats
2/3 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
 Pepper
3 tsp Parmesan Cheese
2 tsp basil (I just used dried basil)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp minced onion (again, I just used the dried stuff)
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt

Combine oats and water and microwave for 1 min, 15 sec.  Stir and add salt, pepper (just a dash), 1 tsp basil and 1 tsp Parmesan.  In a measuring cup, combine yogurt, garlic powder, minced onion, and the remaining basil and Parmesan; mix well.  Combine with oatmeal.  Oh, and add some sauteed vedgies, if you want!  Bell peppers and onions are a good combination.

While the oatmeal is packed with complex carbs -- ie *energy,* Greek yogurt contains a crazy amount of protein, which also helps you stay alert and energized. 

This oatmeal will make you powerful.  UNNECESSARILY POWERFUL.  [Hey, has anyone seen Gnomeo and Juliet?  Adorable movie...ehehehe]

 














No comments:

Post a Comment