Friday, July 22, 2011

I'm such a s'moron sometimes.

Another epic (-ally delicious) failure of mine:


I reeeeely wanted to make marshmallows the other day.  Seeing as regular marshmallows are made with gelatin, and vegan marshmallows cost about a million dollars a bag, I wanted to try making my own!  Did some extensive research via interwebs -- sadly, I could only find a handful of well-written, non-sketchy recipes for gelatin-free marshmallows, and even those didn't have the greatest reviews.  I tried a recipe that involved using agar in place of gelatin.  The recipe stated that, once covered and placed in the fridge, the marshmallows would set within eight hours.  I didn't have my hopes up.

Sure enough, eight hours later, I still had a dish of goop.  So I left it in the fridge for a few days while I thought of what to do next.  I really wanted to make something that involved chocolate and graham crackers.  It's the middle of summer, and I'm craving s'mores like none other!  Haven't had one in a good six years.

Well, eight days later, I finally had time to do some experimentation and try to make the most out of my epic fail, haha.  Opened up the fridge to see that the silly stuff was finally beginning to set!!  But I had run out of patience.  ;)

I ended up melting an entire jar of Artisana coconut butter (my latest obsession -- thanks, CCK!), mixing it with 1/3 cup of dark cocoa powder, pouring it over the goop, and topping it with graham cracker crumbs.  I let it chill for about an hour and, pretty soon, I had what amounted to one gigantic, goopy s'more -- heck yes.  

Don't worry; I didn't eat it all myself.  I took it to a party.  Although there weren't any other vedgeheads there, everyone seemed to enjoy it.  Must have done something right!

If you want to try making this, I would try lining the bottom of a baking dish with vegan marshmallows (...but you'll have to win the lottery before having the required funds to purchase those...).  Just don't try making your own unless you really know what you're doing -- otherwise you'll end up in a sticky mess! 

This would probably taste pretty rad with toasted coconut sprinkled on top, don't you think?  *Ponders*

Hope everyone's summer is going well!

No comments:

Post a Comment